Step by Step Guide
Step 1: Choose the icon you want to useThe first step is to find the icon you want to use. You can search for free icons online or create your own using graphic design software. Make sure the icon file is in .ico format.
Step 2: Select the shortcut you want to changeRight-click on the shortcut you want to change the icon for. Choose “Properties” from the pop-up menu.
Step 3: Click on “Change Icon”In the Properties window, click on the “Change Icon” button.
Step 4: Browse for the icon fileNavigate to the location where you saved the icon file and select it. Click “OK.”
Step 5: Preview the new iconYou will see a preview of the new icon. Click “OK” to apply the new icon or “Cancel” to go back.
Step 6: Apply the changesClick “Apply” in the Properties window to apply the new icon to the shortcut.
Step 7: Repeat for other shortcutsRepeat steps 2-6 for any other shortcuts you want to change the icon for.
Step 8: Change the default folder iconTo change the default folder icon, right-click on a folder and choose “Properties.”
Step 9: Click on “Customize”In the Properties window, click on the “Customize” tab.
Step 10: Click on “Change Icon”Click on the “Change Icon” button.
Step 11: Browse for the icon fileNavigate to the location where you saved the icon file and select it. Click “OK.”
Step 12: Apply the changesClick “Apply” in the Properties window to apply the new folder icon.
Explanation and TipsNow that you know the steps to change an icon on Windows 10, let me explain a few things to keep in mind. Firstly, not all icons can be changed. Some Windows system icons, for example, cannot be modified. Secondly, changing icons can be a fun way to customize your desktop, but be cautious not to overload it with too many icons. This can make it cluttered and hard to navigate.
Tip 1: Use high-quality iconsWhen searching online for icons, make sure to choose high-quality ones to ensure they look good on your desktop.
Tip 2: Organize your iconsOrganize your icons by using folders or group them together by theme or category. This will make it easier to find what you’re looking for.
Tip 3: Create your own iconsIf you have graphic design skills, why not create your own icons? This will give your desktop a unique and personalized touch.
Tip 4: Use a color schemeUsing a color scheme for your icons can make your desktop look more cohesive and aesthetically pleasing.
Tip 5: Keep it simpleAs mentioned before, don’t overload your desktop with too many icons. Keep it simple and easy to navigate.
Tip 6: Back up your filesIf you’re making changes to system files, it’s always a good idea to back them up in case something goes wrong.
Tip 7: Use third-party softwareThere are plenty of third-party software options available that can help with icon customization and organization.
Tip 8: Explore different icon stylesThere are many different styles of icons to choose from. Don’t be afraid to explore and experiment with different styles to find one that suits you.
Tip 9: Regularly update your iconsUpdating your icons regularly can keep your desktop looking fresh and up to date.
Tip 10: Have fun!Lastly, have fun with it! Changing icons can be a fun and creative way to personalize your desktop. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try new things. And there you have it! With these steps and tips, you’re well on your way to a personalized and organized desktop on your Windows 10.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Changing Icon on Windows 10
1. Personalization – Changing icons allows users to personalize their desktop and make it more visually appealing.
2. Organizational – Users can change icons for files and folders to make them easier to identify and locate quickly.
3. Recognition – Changing icons can help users quickly recognize certain programs or files, especially if they have a unique icon.
4. Consistency – Users can create a consistent visual theme by changing icons to match each other or a specific color or style.
5. Branding – For businesses or individuals, changing icons can be a way to create branding and recognition for their products or services.
6. Accessibility – Changing icons to high-contrast or larger versions can make them easier for individuals with visual impairments to use.
7. Privacy – Changing icons can be a way to keep certain files or folders hidden from view, providing a level of privacy.
8. Fun – Experimenting with different icons can be a fun and creative activity for users.
9. Navigation – By changing icons for frequently used programs or files, users can make it easier to navigate their computer and save time.
10. Customization – Changing icons can be a way to exercise creativity and individuality in the use of technology, making the experience more engaging and enjoyable.
1. Complexity – Changing icons can be a complex process, involving many steps and potentially causing errors if not done correctly.
2. Time-Consuming – Changing icons can take up a significant amount of time, especially if users desire to change icons for multiple files or folders.
3. Compatibility – Some icons may not be compatible with certain software or operating systems, causing compatibility issues.
4. System Stability – Changing icons can impact the stability of the system, causing crashes, freezes, and other performance issues.
5. Risk – Changing icons can present a risk to users who may accidentally delete important files or cause other damage to their computer.
6. Compatibility Issues – Changing icons can cause compatibility issues with certain software or programs, leading to potential functionality issues.
7. Learning Curve – Changing icons may require a learning curve for novice users who are not familiar with the process or how to troubleshoot potential issues.
8. Consistency – While changing icons can create consistency, it can also create inconsistency if not done properly or consistently.
9. Limited Options – Changing icons may have limited options for users to choose from, limiting the personalization options available to them.
10. Aesthetics – While changing icons can enhance the visual appeal of a desktop, it can also detract from it if done poorly or excessively, creating a cluttered or chaotic visual experience.
1. How do I change the icon of a file or folder?
To change the icon of a file or folder on Windows 10, right-click on the file or folder and select “Properties.” Click on the “Customize” tab and then click the “Change Icon” button. From here, you can choose from the available icons or browse for your own.
2. How do I change the icon size on my desktop?
To change the icon size on your desktop, right-click on your desktop and select “View.” From here, you can choose between “Small icons,” “Medium icons,” or “Large icons.” You can also choose to have the icons automatically arrange themselves.
3. Can I use my own icon files?
Yes, you can use your own icon files by clicking on the “Browse” button in the “Change Icon” window and selecting the file from your computer.
4. How do I revert back to the default icon?
To revert back to the default icon, simply go back into “Properties” and click the “Restore Defaults” button on the “Customize” tab.
5. Can I change the icon of a system file or folder?
It is possible to change the icon of a system file or folder, but it is not recommended as it can lead to unintended consequences or system errors. It is best to leave system files and folders in their default state.
6. How do I change the icon of a shortcut?
To change the icon of a shortcut, right-click on the shortcut and select “Properties.” Click on the “Shortcut” tab and then click the “Change Icon” button. Follow the same steps as changing the icon of a file or folder.
7. Why won’t my icon change?
If your icon won’t change, it could be because the file or folder is in use or that you do not have permission to modify it. Make sure the file or folder is closed and try changing the icon again. You may also need to run as an administrator.
8. Can I change the icon of multiple files or folders at once?
Yes, you can change the icon of multiple files or folders at once by selecting all the files or folders you want to change, right-clicking, and selecting “Properties.” Follow the same steps as changing the icon of a file or folder.
9. How do I design my own icons?
You can design your own icons using any graphic design software such as Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator. There are also online tools and websites that allow you to create icons. Make sure to save your icon as a .ico file.
10. Can I change the icon of a program?
Yes, you can change the icon of a program by creating a shortcut to the program and then changing the icon of the shortcut.
11. How do I change the icon of a file type?
To change the icon of a file type, you will need to modify the registry. We recommend only advanced users attempt this as modifying the registry can cause system errors.
12. Will changing the icon of a file or folder affect its functionality?
No, changing the icon of a file or folder will not affect its functionality. It is purely a visual change.
13. Can I change the color of an icon?
Yes, you can change the color of an icon using a graphic design program or website. However, it is important to note that changing the color of an icon may cause it to be less recognizable or effective in communicating its purpose.
How to Change Icon on Windows 10
Customizing your Windows 10 desktop can make it feel more personal and reflect your style. One way to do this is by changing the icons on your desktop to your preference. If you’re wondering how to change icon on Windows 10, here’s a step-by-step guide to help you.
Conclusion and Closing
Changing the icons on your Windows 10 desktop is a simple way to make it feel more personalized to your liking. By following these steps, you should now be equipped with the knowledge to change your icons with ease. Whether you want to add your favorite photo as an icon or use a set of icons from the internet, the options are endless. So go ahead and give your desktop a new look, and enjoy a fresh change on your device.
That concludes our article on how to change icon on Windows 10. We hope you found it helpful and informative. If you have any further questions or tips for our readers, please feel free to leave them in the comments below. Thanks for reading, and we’ll see you in the next one!