Step 1: Open SettingsThe first thing you need to do is open the Settings app on your Windows 10 computer. You can do this by clicking on the Start menu and then clicking on the gear icon. Alternatively, you can also press the Windows key + I on your keyboard to open Settings.
Step 2: Click on SystemOnce you’re in the Settings app, click on the System option.
Step 3: Click on DisplayNext, click on the Display option on the left-hand side of the screen.
Step 4: Identify the displaysYou should see a list of displays that are connected to your computer. Identify the display that you want to make the main display.
Step 5: Click on the displayClick on the display that you want to make the main display.
Step 6: Scroll downScroll down to the Multiple displays section and click on the drop-down menu under the “Multiple displays” option.
Step 7: Select “Make this my main display”Select the “Make this my main display” option.
Step 8: Apply the changesClick on the Apply button to apply the changes.
Step 9: Keep changes or revertA popup window will appear asking you to keep the changes or revert them. If the new settings work for you, click on the “Keep changes” button. Otherwise, click on the “Revert” button.
Step 10: Restart your computerRestart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Step 11: Troubleshoot (if necessary)If you encounter any issues with the new display settings, you can troubleshoot the problem by going back to Settings > System > Display and clicking on the “Advanced display settings” link at the bottom of the page.
Step 12: Seek Help (if needed)If you’re still having problems, seek help from Windows support or an IT professional.
Additional Information and Tips
1. Use keyboard shortcutsKeyboard shortcuts can make changing the main display on Windows 10 much easier and faster. Some useful keyboard shortcuts include Windows key + P to open the “Project” menu and Windows key + Shift + Left/Right to move an active window to the left or right display.
2. Update graphics card driversIf you’re having issues with your display settings, it may be due to outdated graphics card drivers. Check for updates and install them if necessary.
3. Check hardware compatibilityMake sure the displays you want to use are compatible with your computer and graphics card.
4. Experiment with different settingsDon’t be afraid to experiment with different display settings to find what works best for you.
5. Use external display settingsIf you’re using an external display, check the display settings on the monitor itself for additional options.
6. Disable mirroringTo avoid confusion, consider disabling mirroring between displays so that each display shows a unique image.
7. Consider a docking stationIf you regularly use multiple displays, consider investing in a docking station to make connecting and disconnecting your displays easier.
8. Use HDMI or DisplayPort cablesFor the best display quality, use HDMI or DisplayPort cables instead of VGA or DVI cables.
9. Avoid glarePlace your displays away from windows or other sources of glare to reduce eye strain and improve visibility.
10. Clean your displaysRegularly clean your displays with a microfiber cloth to remove smudges and dust. In conclusion, changing the main display on Windows 10 may seem daunting at first, but it’s actually quite straightforward once you know the steps. By following the step-by-step guide and implementing the additional tips and tricks, you can easily change the main display on your computer and customize your display settings to suit your needs.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Changing Main Display on Windows 10
1. Improved viewing experience: Changing the main display on Windows 10 can greatly improve your viewing experience by allowing you to have a larger or higher quality display as your main screen.
2. Enhanced productivity: If you are using more than one display, changing the main display can improve your productivity by allowing you to focus on the primary display while using the others as supplemental screens.
3. Allows for better customization: Changing the main display gives you the freedom to customize your display settings to your liking, making it easier to use your computer for work or entertainment.
4. Can increase efficiency: By changing the main display, you can arrange your screens in a way that is more efficient and convenient for you, resulting in faster and easier access to all your applications and files.
5. Enables multiple users: If you have multiple users sharing your computer, changing the main display can make it easier for each user to personalize and access their own settings and files.
6. Can accommodate different hardware: Changing the main display can help you make the most of your hardware by allowing you to use the most capable or advanced display as your primary screen.
7. Can fix display issues: If you are experiencing issues with your current main display, changing it to a different one can potentially solve the problem and improve your overall display quality.
8. Better gaming experience: If you like to play games on your computer, changing the main display can greatly enhance your gaming experience by giving you better graphics and smoother performance.
9. Can create a more immersive experience: Changing the main display can make videos, slideshows, and other media more immersive, with the added advantage of being able to easily switch between displays for different purposes.
10. Can improve ergonomics: By changing the main display, you can adjust the height, angle, and distance of the screen to improve your posture and reduce eye strain, resulting in better overall ergonomics.
1. Can be costly: If you need to purchase a new display to use as your main screen, this can be relatively costly, especially if you require a high-end or niche display.
2. Can be time-consuming: Changing the main display can be a time-consuming process, especially if you have customized your settings and files to your current display.
3. Can result in compatibility issues: Some displays may be incompatible with your current computer or software, leading to compatibility issues and reduced functionality.
4. Can be confusing: Changing the main display can be confusing, especially if you are not familiar with computer hardware or display settings.
5. Can result in reduced performance: Changing the main display can potentially reduce your computer’s performance if the display requires more power or resources than your current display.
6. Can result in driver issues: Changing the main display can cause driver issues, resulting in reduced functionality or compatibility with other hardware or software.
7. Can require additional accessories: Depending on the type of display you choose, you may need to purchase additional accessories such as a stand or adapter to use it as your main display.
8. Can limit port availability: If you are using multiple displays, changing the main display can limit the availability of ports for other displays or peripherals.
9. Can require tweaking: Changing the main display may require you to tweak various settings and preferences to ensure optimal performance and functionality.
10. Can result in loss of settings: Changing the main display can potentially result in the loss of your existing settings and files, leading to a frustrating and time-consuming experience.
1. Can I change the main display in Windows 10?
Yes, you can change the main display in Windows 10 by simply following the steps outlined in this article.
2. How do I change the main display on Windows 10?
To change the main display on Windows 10, go to Settings > Display > select the monitor you want to set as the main display > check the box “Make this my main display”.
3. Why would I want to change my main display in Windows 10?
You may want to change your main display in Windows 10 if you have multiple monitors connected to your computer and want to change which monitor is your primary display.
4. Can I change the resolution of my main display in Windows 10?
Yes, you can change the resolution of your main display in Windows 10 by going to Settings > Display > select the monitor you want to change the resolution of > select the resolution from the drop-down menu.
5. How do I swap displays in Windows 10?
To swap displays in Windows 10, go to Settings > Display > select the monitor you want to swap > click “Identity” > select “Duplicate desktop on 1 and 2” > click “Apply”.
6. What do I do if Windows 10 doesn’t recognize my second monitor?
If Windows 10 doesn’t recognize your second monitor, make sure the monitor is plugged in and turned on. If that doesn’t work, try updating your graphics card driver.
7. How do I extend my display in Windows 10?
To extend your display in Windows 10, go to Settings > Display > select the monitor you want to extend > select “Extend desktop to this display” > click “Apply”.
8. Why is my second monitor not displaying properly in Windows 10?
If your second monitor is not displaying properly in Windows 10, make sure the monitor is set to the correct resolution and refresh rate. You may also need to adjust the display settings on your computer.
9. How do I change the orientation of my display in Windows 10?
To change the orientation of your display in Windows 10, go to Settings > Display > select the monitor you want to change the orientation of > select the orientation from the drop-down menu.
10. Can I change the brightness of my main display in Windows 10?
Yes, you can change the brightness of your main display in Windows 10 by going to Settings > System > Display > adjust the slider under “Brightness and color”.
11. How do I change the scaling of my main display in Windows 10?
To change the scaling of your main display in Windows 10, go to Settings > System > Display > select the monitor you want to change the scaling of > adjust the slider under “Scale and layout”.
12. Why is my second monitor not detected in Windows 10?
If your second monitor is not detected in Windows 10, try unplugging and replugging the monitor. If that doesn’t work, try updating your graphics card driver.
13. How do I set up my main display in Windows 10?
To set up your main display in Windows 10, go to Settings > System > Display > select the monitor you want to set up as the main display > check the box “Make this my main display”.
How to Change Main Display Windows 10
Windows 10 is one of the most popular operating systems for personal computers today. Many users prefer it because of its user-friendly interface and advanced features. However, some users may encounter problems when they try to change their main display, which is the primary monitor that displays the desktop and taskbar. In this article, we will show you how to change the main display in Windows 10 without any hassle.
Conclusion and Closing
In conclusion, changing the main display in Windows 10 is a simple process that can be done in a few clicks. You can use either the display settings or the graphics card software to make the changes, depending on your preference. Remember to apply the changes and save them before closing the settings window to ensure that they are effective. We hope that this article has been helpful to you in resolving your display issues. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you for reading and goodbye!