Step 1: Go to your Windows 10 DesktopThe first step to creating a desktop shortcut in Windows 10 is to navigate to your desktop. You can do this by minimizing all the windows or by clicking the ‘Desktop’ icon on the taskbar.
Step 2: Right-click on the Blank Area of DesktopOnce you are on the desktop interface, right-click on any blank area of the desktop. This will open a pop-up menu with several options.
Step 3: Click on ‘New’From the drop-down menu, click on the ‘New’ option. It will open another menu with more options.
Step 4: Click on ‘Shortcut’In the ‘New’ menu, move your cursor to the ‘Shortcut’ option, then click on it.
Step 5: Select the Location of the ItemAfter selecting the Shortcut option, a pop-up window labeled ‘Create Shortcut’ will appear. In this window, you need to specify the location of the item for which you want to create a shortcut. This could be a file, folder, or program.
Step 6: Type the Name of the ItemNext, you need to type the name of the item that you want to create a shortcut for. You can give it any name you like.
Step 7: Click on ‘Finish’After entering the name, click ‘Finish’ to create the shortcut. The shortcut will appear on the desktop.
Step 8: Customize the ShortcutNow that you have created a shortcut, you can customize it to your liking. To do this, right-click on the shortcut and select ‘Properties’.
Step 9: Choose a new IconIn the ‘Properties’ window, select the ‘Shortcut’ tab. Then click on the ‘Change Icon’ button. You can choose an icon from the available ones or browse to choose a custom icon.
Step 10: Pin the Shortcut to TaskbarIf you want quick access to your shortcut, you can pin it to the taskbar. Right-click on the shortcut and select ‘Pin to Taskbar’.
Step 11: Organize the ShortcutsYou can organize the desktop shortcuts by dragging and dropping them to your desired location.
Step 12: Enjoy Accessing Your ShortcutFinally, you can now access your shortcut with just one click. Voila! Additional Tips and Tricks
1. Use Keyboard ShortcutAnother way to create a desktop shortcut in Windows 10 is to use a simple keyboard shortcut, ‘Ctrl + Shift + Esc’. This shortcut will open the Task Manager, where you can right-click on any process and create a shortcut for it.
2. Pin Frequently Used ItemsBy pinning frequently used items to the taskbar, you can access them quickly without having to navigate to the desktop.
3. Use Drag and Drop TechniqueYou can also create a desktop shortcut by dragging and dropping a file or folder to the desktop.
4. Use of Third-Party ToolsThere are many third-party tools available that can help you create multiple shortcuts at once or even switch between multiple virtual desktops.
5. Rename the Shortcut file nameRenaming the shortcut file name can help you to easily identify the shortcut for a particular file, folder, or program.
6. Use Shortcuts for Frequently Used SettingsBy creating shortcuts for frequently used settings such as Sound, Network, Display, and Power, you can easily access them.
7. Shortcut for Control PanelCreating a desktop shortcut for Control Panel can be useful as it can provide direct access to all the system settings.
8. Add Shortcuts to Quick Launch ToolbarAdding shortcuts to the Quick Launch Toolbar can provide even faster access to your frequently used programs.
9. Use Search FunctionalityWindows 10 search functionality can be used to locate files, folders, and programs. Once you have located the desired item, create a shortcut.
10. Use of Personalized IconsYou can create personalized icons for your desktop shortcuts by using any image of your choice. This can help you to recognize them easily. Conclusion Creating a desktop shortcut in Windows 10 can significantly improve your productivity and make it easier to access your frequently used files and programs. With these simple steps, including some additional tips and tricks, you can create customized shortcuts to suit your needs and work faster. Happy desktop organizing!
How to Create Desktop Shortcut in Windows 10: Advantages and Disadvantages
1. Quick access: Creating desktop shortcuts saves time as users can directly access frequently used files or applications from the desktop.
2. Organized desktop: By creating shortcuts, users can keep their desktop clutter-free and organized as they can easily remove or modify shortcuts as per their requirements.
3. Customization: Users can customize the desktop shortcuts by changing the icon, name, and target location as per their preferences.
4. Easy to create: Creating desktop shortcuts is easy and can be done in a few simple steps without any technical knowledge.
5. Increased productivity: Quick access to frequently used files or applications increases productivity, which is crucial for businesses and individuals alike.
6. Multi-tasking: Users can create multiple desktop shortcuts for various files or applications they need to access frequently, allowing them to multi-task more efficiently.
7. Reduces search time: Desktop shortcuts help save time that would have been spent searching for a particular file or application.
8. Compatibility: Desktop shortcuts can be created for both built-in and third-party applications, making it easier to access them all from one place.
9. Convenience: Desktop shortcuts are a convenient way to access frequently used files or applications without using the start menu or taskbar.
10. User-friendly: Desktop shortcuts provide a user-friendly way for users to access their files or applications, improving their overall computing experience.
1. Desktop clutter: While desktop shortcuts are excellent organizational tools, creating too many of them can clutter the desktop and make it difficult to find what you need.
2. Security risks: Desktop shortcuts can pose a security risk as they may lead to malicious programs or websites.
3. Confusing names: Incorrectly named shortcuts can lead to confusion and make it difficult to identify the file or application they represent.
4. Limited space: Desktop shortcuts take up space on the desktop and may limit the workspace for other tasks.
5. Redundancy: Users may create redundant desktop shortcuts, which can lead to confusion and clutter on the desktop.
6. Inconsistent location: Desktop shortcuts may be located in different locations, making it difficult to find what you need.
7. Lack of updates: Desktop shortcuts may not update with the latest versions of applications, leading to compatibility issues and errors.
8. Limited use: Desktop shortcuts are only useful for frequently used files or applications and may not be suitable for all users or situations.
9. User error: Desktop shortcuts may be accidentally deleted, leading to the loss of important files or applications.
10. Inefficient use: Desktop shortcuts may not be an efficient way to access files or applications for users who work primarily in one application or file.
1. What is a desktop shortcut?
A desktop shortcut is a convenient way to access a file or program on your Windows 10 computer without having to go through a lengthy navigation process each time.
2. How do I create a desktop shortcut in Windows 10?
To create a desktop shortcut in Windows 10, simply right-click on the file or program you want to create a shortcut for, and select “Create shortcut”. Then, drag and drop the newly created shortcut onto your desktop.
3. Can I create a desktop shortcut for a website?
Yes, you can create a desktop shortcut for a website by opening the website in your web browser, clicking on the three vertical dots in the top right corner, selecting “More Tools”, and then selecting “Create Shortcut”.
4. Can I change the icon of a desktop shortcut?
Yes, to change the icon of a desktop shortcut, simply right-click on the shortcut, select “Properties”, click on the “Shortcut” tab, and then click on the “Change Icon” button.
5. How do I rename a desktop shortcut?
To rename a desktop shortcut, simply right-click on the shortcut, select “Rename”, and then type in the new name.
6. Can I delete a desktop shortcut?
Yes, to delete a desktop shortcut, simply right-click on the shortcut and select “Delete”.
7. Can I move a desktop shortcut to a different folder?
Yes, to move a desktop shortcut to a different folder, simply drag and drop the shortcut into the desired folder.
8. Can I create a desktop shortcut for a specific file or folder?
Yes, to create a desktop shortcut for a specific file or folder, simply right-click on the file or folder, select “Create shortcut”, and then drag and drop the newly created shortcut onto your desktop.
9. Can I create a desktop shortcut for a specific setting or system function?
Yes, to create a desktop shortcut for a specific setting or system function, simply search for the desired function or setting in the Windows search bar, right-click on it, and select “Create shortcut”. Then, drag and drop the newly created shortcut onto your desktop.
10. Can I create a shortcut for a program that is not installed on my computer?
No, you can only create a desktop shortcut for a program that is installed on your computer.
11. How do I create a shortcut for a program that is not listed in the Start menu?
To create a shortcut for a program that is not listed in the Start menu, simply navigate to the program’s directory, right-click on the program’s executable file, and select “Create shortcut”. Then, drag and drop the newly created shortcut onto your desktop.
12. How do I create a shortcut for a program that is pinned to the taskbar?
To create a shortcut for a program that is pinned to the taskbar, simply right-click on the program’s icon on the taskbar, select “Pin to Start”, and then drag and drop the newly created Start menu shortcut onto your desktop.
13. Can I create a desktop shortcut for a group of files or folders?
Yes, to create a desktop shortcut for a group of files or folders, simply create a new folder on your desktop, and then drag and drop the desired files or folders into the new folder. Then, drag and drop the new folder onto your desktop to create a shortcut.
How to Create Desktop Shortcut in Windows 10
If you’re a Windows 10 user, you may have noticed that some applications are not easily accessible from the desktop. Instead, you have to go through the Start menu to find them. Fortunately, you can create desktop shortcuts to make it easier to access these applications. In this article, we’ll guide you on how to create desktop shortcuts in Windows 10.
Conclusion and Closing
Creating desktop shortcuts can save you time and effort, especially when you frequently use certain applications. With the easy steps we’ve provided in this article, you can create shortcuts for any application on your Windows 10 desktop.
We hope you found this guide helpful! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to share them with us below. Thank you for reading, and see you soon in our next article!