Step by Step Guide for Deleting Apps from Windows 10
Step 1: Open SettingsTo start with, open the “Start” menu and click on the “Settings” icon. Alternatively, you can press the “Windows key + I” shortcut key to directly open the Settings app.
Step 2: Click on AppsFrom the list of available system settings, click on “Apps.” This will take you to a page where you can view all the apps and programs that are currently installed on your Windows 10 device.
Step 3: Select Apps and FeaturesIn the left-hand menu of the Apps settings window, select the “Apps & Features” option. Here you will find a list of all the programs and apps that are installed on your device.
Step 4: Choose the App You Want to UninstallSelect the app that you want to delete from your system by clicking on it. Once you click on the app, you will see two options: “Modify” and “Uninstall.”
Step 5: Click on “Uninstall”Click on the “Uninstall” button. You will receive a prompt asking if you’re sure you want to uninstall the app. Click “Yes” to proceed.
Step 6: Wait for UninstallationOnce you click “Yes,” the uninstallation process will begin, and you’ll see a progress bar indicating the status of the uninstallation process. Wait for the process to complete.
Step 7: Review Apps and Features ListAfter the uninstallation process is complete, go back to the “Apps & Features” list and verify that the app is removed from the list.
Step 8: Delete Leftover Folders and FilesSometimes, even after uninstalling an app, there can be leftover files and folders. To ensure complete removal of the app from your system, go to the installation folder of the app and delete any remaining files or folders.
Step 9: Use Software UninstallerIf you’re having trouble uninstalling an app or you suspect that some files or folders have been left behind, you can use a third-party software uninstaller like “Revo Uninstaller” to remove the app completely.
Step 10: Removing Built-in Windows 10 AppsIf you want to remove built-in apps that come with Windows 10, such as Microsoft Edge or Cortana, you’ll need to use PowerShell. Open PowerShell as an administrator and use the command “Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.####* | Remove-AppxPackage” to uninstall the app.
Step 11: Clean up the RegistrySometimes, even after uninstalling an app, some registry keys might still be left behind. To ensure complete removal, use a registry cleaner tool to get rid of any leftover registry entries.
Step 12: Prevent Automatic App ReinstallWindows 10 has a feature that automatically reinstalls apps that you’ve uninstalled. If you don’t want this to happen, go to “Settings” -> “Apps” -> “Apps & Features” and turn off the “Automatically Reinstall My Apps” option.
Tips and Tricks for Deleting Apps from Windows 10
Tip 1: Avoid Using Third-Party UninstallersWhile third-party uninstallers can be useful, they can also be risky as they can delete important system files. Only use third-party uninstallers if you’re sure you know what you’re doing.
Tip 2: Keep Your Registry CleanOver time, your Windows 10 registry can become cluttered with leftover registry keys from uninstalled apps. Use a registry cleaner tool to keep your registry clean and optimize your system performance.
Tip 3: Use Disk CleanupUse the Windows 10 built-in Disk Cleanup tool to free up hard disk space. This tool can delete temporary files, system files, and other unnecessary files that accumulate over time.
Tip 4: Use “Storage Sense”Windows 10 has a feature called “Storage Sense” that automatically frees up disk space by deleting temporary files, system files, and unused files. To enable this feature, go to “Settings” -> “System” -> “Storage.”
Tip 5: Use System RestoreIf you accidentally delete an important system file or registry key, use System Restore to restore your system to a previous state. This feature is built into Windows 10 and can be accessed through the “System Protection” settings.
Tip 6: Don’t Disable Windows UpdatesWhile updates can be annoying at times, they’re critical for your system’s security and performance. Don’t disable Windows updates unless you know what you’re doing.
Tip 7: Keep Your PC CleanPhysical cleaning of your PC can also help to optimize your system’s performance. Dust and debris can clog up your system’s cooling fan, which can lead to overheating and slow performance.
Tip 8: Keep Your Drivers UpdatedKeeping your device drivers up to date can also help to optimize your system’s performance. Drivers are software programs that allow your computer to communicate with hardware devices.
Tip 9: Uninstall Apps That You Don’t UseRegularly review the apps and programs that you’ve installed on your system and uninstall the ones that you don’t use. This can free up valuable hard disk space and optimize your system’s performance.
Tip 10: Keep Your System Up to DateMake sure that your Windows 10 operating system is always up to date with the latest security patches and updates. This can help to keep your system secure and optimize its performance. In conclusion, deleting apps from Windows 10 is a simple and straightforward process that can help to optimize your device’s performance and free up valuable hard disk space. By following the 12-step guide and implementing the tips and tricks we’ve provided, you can ensure that your system runs smoothly and efficiently.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Deleting Apps from Windows 10
1. Free up disk space: By deleting unused apps, you can free up valuable disk space on your Windows 10 computer.
2. Improved performance: Deleting unwanted apps can help boost the overall performance of your system.
3. Better security: Removing apps that you no longer use can help improve the security of your computer by reducing the attack surface area.
4. Customization and organization: By removing unwanted apps, you can better customize and organize your Windows 10 home screen and taskbar.
5. Reduced clutter: Deleting apps can help you declutter your computer and make it easier to find the programs you need.
6. Reduced load time: Fewer programs equate to faster load time when starting up and shutting down your computer.
7. Easier maintenance: With fewer apps on your system, it becomes easier to maintain and keep updated with crucial security patches and software updates.
8. Better battery life: Running fewer apps at one time can extend the battery life of your laptop or tablet.
9. More control: Removing apps from your Windows 10 system can give you greater control over your computer and how it operates.
10. Reduced distractions: By keeping only what you need, deleting unnecessary apps can reduce distractions and help you focus on the task at hand.
1. Loss of functionality: Removing apps could lead to a loss of functionality if you need to use the program later on.
2. Difficulty reinstalling: In some cases, you may have difficulty reinstalling apps that you’ve previously deleted.
3. Compatibility issues: Deleting certain apps may lead to compatibility issues with other software programs that you use on your computer.
4. Changes to user experience: Removing apps that come preinstalled on certain versions of Windows 10 can change the user experience or interface of the operating system.
5. Loss of personalized settings: If you delete an app that you have customized with specific settings, you will lose those settings if you reinstall the app.
6. Potential impact on other apps: Removing certain apps from your system can have a ripple effect, causing issues with other apps on your computer.
7. Unpredictable results: Deleting apps can sometimes lead to unpredictable results, as some software programs may rely on apps that are installed on your computer.
8. Security concerns: Accidentally deleting important system files or apps can lead to serious security concerns and potential issues with your computer’s operating system.
9. Time-consuming: Removing apps one-by-one can be time-consuming and may not be worth the effort for some users.
10. Limited disk space: If your computer has limited storage capacity, deleting apps may not be enough to free up the space you need.
1. How do I uninstall an app from Windows 10?
To uninstall an app from Windows 10, go to the Start menu and click on the Settings icon. From there, select Apps and Features. Scroll down to find the app you want to uninstall and click on it. Finally, click on Uninstall and follow the instructions.
2. Can I reinstall an app I uninstalled previously?
Yes, you can reinstall an app you uninstalled previously. Simply go to the Microsoft Store and search for the app. Once you find it, click on Install to reinstall it.
3. Does uninstalling an app remove all of its data from my computer?
No, uninstalling an app does not remove all of its data from your computer. Some data, such as settings or documents, may still be left behind. To completely remove all data associated with the app, you need to manually delete the remaining files and folders.
4. How do I delete the leftover files and folders from an app I uninstalled?
To delete leftover files and folders from an app you uninstalled, go to the Start menu and click on File Explorer. Navigate to the folder where the app was installed and delete all of the remaining files and folders that are associated with the app.
5. Can I uninstall multiple apps at once?
Yes, you can uninstall multiple apps at once. To do this, go to the Start menu and click on the Settings icon. From there, select Apps and Features. To select multiple apps, hold down the Ctrl key while clicking on the apps you want to uninstall. Once you have selected all of the apps you want to uninstall, click on Uninstall and follow the instructions.
6. Can I uninstall pre-installed apps that came with my computer?
Yes, you can uninstall pre-installed apps that came with your computer. However, some apps may be required for your computer to function properly, so it’s a good idea to be cautious when uninstalling them.
7. What should I do if an app won’t uninstall?
If an app won’t uninstall, try restarting your computer and then attempting to uninstall the app again. If that doesn’t work, try using a third-party uninstaller program.
8. Are there any apps I shouldn’t uninstall?
Yes, there are some apps that you shouldn’t uninstall, such as core system apps or drivers. Uninstalling these apps can cause problems with your computer’s performance or stability.
9. How do I know if an app is safe to uninstall?
Before uninstalling any app, it’s a good idea to do some research to make sure it’s safe to remove. Check online forums and other resources to see if other users have reported any problems with uninstalling the app.
10. What happens if I accidentally uninstall an important app?
If you accidentally uninstall an important app, don’t worry. You can always reinstall it from the Microsoft Store or from the app’s official website.
11. Can I uninstall apps from the Microsoft Store?
No, you cannot uninstall apps from the Microsoft Store. However, you can remove them from your Start menu or taskbar.
12. Will uninstalling apps free up space on my computer?
Yes, uninstalling apps will free up space on your computer’s hard drive. This can help improve your computer’s performance and speed.
13. Can I uninstall an app without administrative privileges?
No, you cannot uninstall an app without administrative privileges. You need to have administrative access to your computer to uninstall apps.
How to Delete Apps from Windows 10
Windows 10 comes with a lot of built-in apps such as Mail, Calendar, and Microsoft Edge. While some of these apps are useful, others might seem unnecessary or take up too much storage space on your device. Fortunately, removing unwanted apps from Windows 10 is a simple process.
To uninstall an app from your Windows 10 device, you can go to the Start menu and click on “Settings”. From there, click on “Apps” and select the app that you want to delete. Once you’ve selected the app, click on “Uninstall” and follow the prompts to remove it from your device.
Alternatively, you can also use the Windows PowerShell to uninstall apps. You can do this by opening the PowerShell as an administrator and typing in the following command: “Get-AppxPackage [App Name] | Remove-AppxPackage”. Make sure to replace [App Name] with the name of the app that you want to delete.
It’s important to note that not all apps can be uninstalled from your Windows 10 device. Some built-in apps such as Cortana and Microsoft Store are essential components of the operating system and cannot be removed.
Conclusion and Closing
Deleting unwanted apps from your Windows 10 device is a quick and easy process. By following the steps outlined above, you can free up storage space and remove unnecessary apps from your device. However, it’s important to remember that not all apps can be uninstalled and certain apps are essential components of the operating system.
Thank you for reading our article on how to delete apps from Windows 10. We hope that you found this information helpful and that it made the app deletion process easier for you. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. Until next time!