Step-by-Step Guide to Remove Edge from Windows 10
Step 1: Check for UpdatesBefore you attempt to remove Edge from your Windows 10 computer, make sure your system is updated with the latest Windows 10 updates. These updates may include patches and fixes that might impact Edge’s functionality. Go to Settings, click on Update & Security, and check for updates.
Step 2: Create a System Restore PointBefore making any changes to your computer, always create a system restore point. In case something goes wrong, you can always restore your system to the point before you made the changes. To create a system restore point, go to Control Panel, click on System, and select System Protection. Follow the prompts to create a restore point.
Step 3: Download the Edge Blocker ToolTo remove Edge from your Windows 10 computer, you will need to download a third-party tool called Edge Blocker. This tool will disable Edge and remove its icon from the desktop and Start menu. It is important to note that Edge Blocker only disables Edge and does not uninstall it. You can download Edge Blocker from various websites such as Softpedia, downloadcrew, and majorgeeks.
Step 4: Disable EdgeOnce you have downloaded Edge Blocker, unzip the file and run it as administrator. The tool will disable Edge and remove its icon from the desktop and Start menu. If Edge was your default browser, it will also prompt you to choose a new default browser.
Step 5: Restart Your ComputerAfter disabling Edge using Edge Blocker, it is recommended that you restart your computer. This ensures that all changes are applied correctly.
Step 6: Uninstall Microsoft Edge Using Command PromptIf you want to completely remove Edge from your Windows 10 computer, you can use Command Prompt. Open Command Prompt as administrator and type the following command: “cd %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application\[version]\Installer” (replace [version] with the version of Edge you have installed). Then type “setup.exe –uninstall –system-level” and press Enter. This will uninstall Edge from your computer.
Step 7: Remove Registry EntriesTo remove all traces of Edge from your Windows 10 computer, you will need to remove some registry entries. Open Registry Editor by pressing Windows + R, typing “regedit” and pressing Enter. Then navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Deprovisioned\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe” and delete the folder. This will remove all registry entries related to Edge.
Step 8: Remove Microsoft Edge FoldersTo remove all the Microsoft Edge folders from your Windows 10 computer, navigate to “C:\Windows\SystemApps” and locate the “Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe” folder. Right-click on the folder and select “Delete”. You will need to confirm that you want to delete the folder.
Step 9: Delete Edge ShortcutsAfter removing Edge from your Windows 10 computer, you will need to delete all the Edge shortcuts. These shortcuts can be found in the Start menu, taskbar, and desktop. Right-click on each shortcut and select “Unpin from [location]”. Then delete the shortcut.
Step 10: Delete Edge from File ExplorerYou will also need to delete Edge from File Explorer. Navigate to “C:\Windows\SystemApps” and locate the “Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe” folder. Right-click on the folder and select “Delete”. You will need to confirm that you want to delete the folder.
Step 11: Delete Edge from Task Manager StartupEdge can also run in the background even if it is disabled. To prevent Edge from running in the background, open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc. Go to the Startup tab, locate Microsoft Edge, and disable it.
Step 12: Restart Your ComputerAfter completing all the steps, it is recommended that you restart your computer. This ensures that all changes are applied correctly.
Penjelasan dan TipsRemoving Edge from your Windows 10 computer can be a complex process, but following these steps can help you safely and successfully remove it. It is important to note that the above steps should be followed carefully and in the order presented. Skipping any of the steps or performing them out of order might cause serious damage to your operating system. Additionally, it is not recommended to remove Edge if you are not familiar with the technicalities of your Windows 10 computer. If you are unsure and want to keep Edge on your computer, it is recommended to disable it instead.
Tips and Tricks1. Before removing Edge from your Windows 10 computer, consider backing up your important data to prevent any loss. 2. Create a system restore point before making any changes to your computer to enable a quick and easy undo button. 3. Ensure that your Windows 10 system is updated with the latest updates to prevent any conflict of third-party software that may lead to malfunctioning. 4. Check for and disable any antivirus software protecting files related to Edge to avoid unexpected errors during the removal process. 5. Be very careful when deleting registry entries because a mistake might cause system damage. 6. Use Command Prompt with caution as any mistake in commands can lead to substantial system damage. 7. Restart your computer after every step to ensure changes take effect entirely. 8. Before proceeding to remove shortcuts, ensure that you unpin Edge from the taskbar, the desktop, and the Start menu. 9. Always remember that removing Edge is irreversible except by resetting your system since Edge cannot be reinstalled separately. 10. Should you encounter any technical challenges, seek advice or assistance from an experienced technician. In conclusion, removing Edge from your Windows 10 computer is possible, but it requires careful steps and ample technical knowledge. While removing Edge might not improve your computer’s speed, it saves the computer’s space occupied by various unused files. In case of any doubts, following the tips and tricks we have provided, and asking for the assistance of an experienced technician can save your system from going down.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Removing Edge from Windows 10
1. More storage space: Removing Edge from Windows 10 can free up essential storage space on your device. This can help to speed up the performance of your computer.
2. No unwanted ads: Edge comes with built-in ads that can be annoying and intrusive. By removing it, you can avoid ads that hamper your browsing experience.
3. More customization: You can customize your preferred browser with the extensions and themes of your choice when Edge is removed. This can enhance your browsing experience.
4. Better privacy: Some users prefer to minimize the number of pre-installed apps on their device for better privacy. Removing Edge can help with this.
5. More efficient battery usage: Edge tends to consume more battery power than other browsers. By removing it, you can maximize the battery life of your device.
6. Better compatibility: Sometimes, certain websites or applications are not compatible with Edge. By removing it, you can avoid such compatibility issues.
7. Faster updates: When Edge is removed, the updates for your preferred browser will not be dependent on the operating system updates. This can save you time.
8. More control: Removing Edge can provide you with greater control over the software installed on your device and is part of a wider trend to keep only the software you actually use.
9. Enhanced security: Removal of edge can provide enhanced security to your browsing experience.
10.Working with edge is difficult for users, so easy to work without edge browser the users can control their system in an easy way.
1. Risk of System damage: Removing Edge without knowing the correct process can sometimes damage your operating system and result in crashes or errors.
2. No Edge-specific apps: Some applications are designed specifically for Edge and may not work properly on other browsers. Users may miss out on some features of such app.
3. Limited access: Edge gives access to some websites and features of windows 10 that other browsers may not have access to.
4. Need to Install alternative browser: after uninstalling Edge, users need to install another preferred browser to get access to the internet.
5. Trouble with windows update: Some users have reported issues with windows update after removing Edge, which can be frustrating.
6. Absence of Inking and Web Notes: Inking and web notes are unique features of the Edge browser that cannot be replaced if the browser is removed.
7. Customizable settings: Some users like the setting and customization features of Edge and may miss them after moving to an alternative browser, which may not be as good.
8. Might void warranty: Removal of any inbuilt app from windows can nullify the warranty of the product.
9. May affect Cortana: Cortana, the voice-activated assistant in windows 10, works better with the Edge browser tuned in properly with the system. Removing edge can affect the functioning of Cortana.
10. Some users still prefer Edge: Some users prefer Edge over other browsers because of its look and feel, as well as its ease of use, especially on touchscreens and tablets.Overall, removing Edge from Windows 10 may provide various benefits such as more space, better privacy, efficient battery usage, and compatibility; However, it can lead to certain disadvantages such as system damage, limited access, and issues with windows update. Thus, the decision to remove Edge should be taken wisely by considering the user’s preference and overall end-user experience.
1. What is Edge in Windows 10?
Edge is the default web browser in Windows 10, developed by Microsoft. It replaced Internet Explorer as the default browser with a more streamlined interface and better performance.
2. Why would someone want to remove Edge?
Some people prefer to use other web browsers such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and may find Edge unnecessary or unwanted. Others may have privacy concerns with Edge.
3. Can Edge be completely removed from Windows 10?
No, Edge is an integral part of the Windows 10 operating system and cannot be completely removed. However, it can be disabled and hidden from view.
4. How do I disable Edge?
You can disable Edge by using a local group policy or registry hack. However, this may cause other issues with your system and is not recommended for novice users. A safer alternative is to simply use a different web browser as your default.
5. Can I use a third-party app to remove Edge?
There are third-party apps available that claim to remove Edge from Windows 10, but these are not recommended as they may cause issues with your system and violate Microsoft’s terms of service.
6. Is there a way to hide Edge from view without disabling it?
Yes, you can use a registry hack to hide Edge from view without disabling it. However, this may cause issues with certain apps and tools that use Edge for certain tasks.
7. Will disabling Edge affect my ability to use other Microsoft apps?
Disabling Edge should not affect your ability to use other Microsoft apps, but certain apps and tools may require Edge to function properly. It’s best to research this before disabling Edge.
8. Can I still get updates for Windows 10 with Edge disabled?
Disabling Edge should not affect your ability to receive updates for Windows 10, as updates are delivered through a separate system.
9. Can I reinstall Edge after disabling it?
Yes, if you decide to use Edge again in the future, you can reinstall it using the Microsoft Store or through a PowerShell command.
10. Will disabling Edge improve my system performance?
Disabling Edge may improve system performance slightly, but the difference is likely to be minimal. Other system tweaks and upgrades may have a greater impact on performance.
11. Is it recommended to disable Edge for better privacy?
Disabling Edge for privacy reasons is a personal choice and depends on your individual preferences and concerns. However, using a different privacy-focused web browser may be a more effective solution.
12. Is it legal to disable or remove Edge from my system?
Yes, it is legal to disable or remove Edge from your system, but doing so may violate Microsoft’s terms of service if it’s done through unauthorized means.
13. Can I contact Microsoft for assistance with disabling Edge?
Microsoft does not provide official support for disabling Edge, as it’s an integral part of the Windows 10 operating system. However, there are plenty of online resources and forums where you can find assistance and advice from other users.
In conclusion, removing Edge from Windows 10 can be a bit tricky, but with the right steps it can be done easily. Whether you want to uninstall it completely or just want to change your default browser, following the steps mentioned above can make the process easier. Remember to back up your data before making any changes to your system to avoid any loss of important information.
Thank you for reading our article on “how to remove Edge from Windows 10”! We hope that you found the information useful and were able to successfully remove Edge or change your default browser. If you have any further questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you. Until then, happy browsing!