Welcome to our guide on how to turn on keyboard light on Windows 10! If you’re one of those people who love typing away at night, then having a backlit keyboard is an absolute must. However, not all laptops come with this feature, which can be frustrating for some users. Thankfully, there are a few ways you can turn on your keyboard light, even if your laptop does not have a dedicated button or toggle switch. In this guide, we will walk you through 12 easy steps to turn on your laptop keyboard light. Let’s get started!
Step-by-Step Guide to Turn On Keyboard Light Windows 10
Step 1: Check Your Keyboard Features
Before diving into any software or settings, the first thing you need to do is check whether your laptop keyboard has a backlight feature. This feature may not be available on some older laptops or budget models. To check, look for the keyboard icon with a small light bulb in the function keys row (F1-F12), or consult your laptop manual.
If your keyboard does not have a backlight feature, you can skip the remaining steps in this guide. However, if your laptop does have the feature, read on to learn how to turn it on.
Step 2: Adjust Keyboard Backlight Settings in System Settings
The easiest way to turn on the keyboard backlight is by adjusting the settings in the Windows System Settings. Here’s how to do it:
1. Click on the Windows button located on the taskbar and click on the gear icon to open the “Settings”.
2. Once in Settings, click on the “Devices” option
3. Click on “Typing”, located in the left sidebar. You will see the option “Backlit Keyboard”.
4. Toggle the switch to turn on the backlight feature on your keyboard
If your keyboard has multiple brightness settings, you can also adjust the brightness level here.
Step 3: Use the Fn Key
If your keyboard does not have a dedicated backlight button, chances are, you’ll need to use the Fn key to turn it on. Here’s how:
1. Look for the Fn key located at the bottom left of your keyboard.
2. Hold down the Fn key and look for the button marked with a small light bulb icon or the keyboard backlight function key, usually F5 or F6. Press this button to turn on your keyboard backlight.
Step 4: Use the Manufacturer-Specific Keyboard Shortcut
Some laptop brands have their own specialized keyboard shortcuts to turn on the backlight. Here’s a list of commonly used shortcuts:
– Dell: Fn + F6
– Lenovo: Fn + Space or Fn + Esc
– HP: Ctrl + F4 or Fn + F4
– Asus: Fn + F3 or Fn + F4
If your laptop brand is not listed here, do a quick Google search or consult your manual for the specific shortcut relevant to your keyboard.
Step 5: Use the BIOS Settings
If the steps above do not work, the backlight feature may be disabled in your laptop’s BIOS. The BIOS is a firmware that controls all hardware settings before launching the operating system. Here’s how to access your BIOS and turn on the backlight:
1. Restart your computer and on startup, look for a prompt that tells you which key to press to enter the BIOS. The key may vary depending on your laptop brand, but commonly used keys include F2, F12, or Del.
2. Once you enter the BIOS, use the arrow keys to navigate to the “Configuration” or “Advanced” tab depending on your laptop brand.
3. Look for the “Keyboard backlit” option and toggle the switch to enable the backlight.
4. Save the changes and exit the BIOS.
Step 6: Use Third-Party Software
If none of the previous steps work for you, you can try downloading and installing third-party software specifically designed to turn on your keyboard backlight. Here are some programs worth trying out:
– RedshiftGUI: An open-source utility that adjusts the gamma color temperature of your screen and keyboard backlight.
– Keyboard LEDs: A lightweight utility that shows the status of your keyboard, including the state of your backlight feature.
– ASUS Keyboard Backlight: A specialized program for Asus laptop users that controls the backlight feature.
Keep in mind that installing third-party software can potentially put your laptop at risk. Always download software from trusted sources and make sure to scan it with an antivirus program before installing it.
Step 7: Update Your Drivers
Outdated drivers can cause many issues with your computer’s hardware, including your keyboard backlight. Here’s how to update your drivers:
1. Click on the Windows button located on the taskbar and type “Device Manager” in the search bar.
2. Click on the “Device Manager” option that appears in the search results.
3. Locate the keyboard driver and right-click on it. Select the “Update Driver” option.
If there is a new driver available, Windows will automatically install it for you. If not, try visiting your laptop manufacturer’s website to download the latest driver manually.
Step 8: Restart Your Computer
Sometimes, the simplest solution is the best one. Try restarting your computer to see if the keyboard backlight works after bootup.
Step 9: Use an External Keyboard
If all else fails, you can always use an external keyboard that has a backlight feature. This is particularly handy if your laptop is a desktop replacement or you use it in a stationary setting.
Step 10: Use a USB Led Light
Another alternative is to use a USB LED light. This is a small, portable light that you can connect to your laptop’s USB port to illuminate your keyboard. It’s a simple and cost-effective solution if you don’t want to spend money on a new keyboard or software.
Step 11: Get Your Laptop Serviced
If your keyboard backlight still doesn’t work after trying all the previous steps, it could be a hardware issue. In this case, your best option is to take your laptop to a service center and have it checked by a professional.
Step 12: Reset Your Laptop
If none of the previous steps work for you, a last resort is to reset your laptop to its default settings. Before doing this, make sure to backup all your data. Here’s how to reset your laptop:
1. Click on the Windows button and click on the gear icon to open the “Settings.”
2. Click on “Update & Security” and click on “Recovery” in the left sidebar.
3. Click on “Reset this PC” and choose “Remove everything” to wipe all your files.
Tips and Tricks
Tip 1: Take Good Care of Your Keyboard
Regular cleaning and maintenance can help prevent keyboard issues, including the backlight feature. Use compressed air to remove dust and debris, and avoid eating or drinking around your laptop to prevent accidental spills.
Tip 2: Shop Around for the Best Keyboard
If you’re in the market for a new laptop, make sure to shop around and compare keyboard features before making a purchase. Look for backlit keyboards and keyboard switches that match your typing preferences.
Tip 3: Adjust the Brightness Level
If your keyboard has multiple brightness levels, experiment with different settings to find the one that suits your needs. Lower brightness levels can help conserve battery life, while higher ones can be more comfortable for users who prefer a brighter display.
Tip 4: Use a Keyboard Cover
Protect your keyboard from spills and scratches by using a keyboard cover. These are available from many online stores and are a cheap and effective way to keep your keyboard in top condition.
Tip 5: Keep Your Operating System Updated
Outdated operating systems can cause compatibility issues with your keyboard backlight feature. Keep your Windows version updated to ensure it works flawlessly with your laptop hardware.
Tip 6: Customize Your Keyboard
Many laptops come with pre-installed software that allows you to customize your keyboard backlight. Take advantage of these tools to set up unique lighting effects that match your style or preferences.
Tip 7: Use Your Keyboard In a Well-Lit Environment
Using your keyboard in a well-lit environment can help reduce eye strain and make it easier to see the backlight feature. Place your laptop in a well-lit area or invest in a desk lamp to enhance visibility.
Tip 8: Use a Keyboard Shortcut Manager
A keyboard shortcut manager can help you create custom keyboard shortcuts to turn on the backlight feature. This is particularly useful for users who navigate the keyboard frequently and want to save time.
Tip 9: Check for Software Updates
If you’re using third-party software to control your keyboard backlight, make sure to check for software updates regularly. Newer updates may fix bugs and compatibility issues that can occur with older versions.
Tip 10: Don’t Panic
Above all, remember that a non-functioning keyboard backlight is seldom a serious problem. Try the steps outlined in this guide and don’t panic. With a little patience and persistence, you’ll have your keyboard light back on in no time!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Turning on Keyboard Light in Windows 10
1. Better Visibility: Turning on the keyboard light in windows 10, allows for better visibility when you are working in a low lit environment.
2. Convenience: When you have to work in a dimly lit area, turning on the keyboard light can save time and hassle of using external devices.
3. Aesthetics: Some laptop keyboards have a backlit feature, which enhances the look of the device and creates a more premium feel.
4. Easy to Use: Turning on the keyboard light is simple. It can be done by pressing the dedicated key on the keyboard or going to the settings app in the system.
5. Increased Productivity: With improved visibility, your typing speed can increase, and you are less likely to make spelling or typing errors.
6. Battery Life: Most laptops have a keyboard light that automatically dims when not in use, thus saving battery life.
7. Customization: Windows 10 keyboard light settings allow customization to color and brightness, giving users the freedom to set it up according to their preference.
8. Suitability: Having a keyboard light is particularly useful for gamers, engineers, and writers who work at night and need their keyboard lit up.
9. Durability: The keyboard light feature on laptops is typically durable and can last as long as the computer itself.
10. Accessibility: Illuminated keyboards are especially useful for visually impaired people, making it easier for them to see their keys while typing.
1. Glare: If the lighting in your environment is not adequately controlled, the keyboard light might cause a glare on the screen, making it hard to read.
2. Distraction: A backlit keyboard can be distracting and can cause eye strain if used for an extended period.
3. Pricing: Laptops with backlit keyboards tend to be more expensive than those without, making them less accessible to those on a tight budget.
4. Battery Drain: Keeping the keyboard light on for an extended period can drain your battery, reducing the overall lifespan of your system.
5. Limited Functionality: Some laptop keyboards have limited lighting functionality, which can be frustrating for users who need more control over the lighting settings.
6. Overheating: The heat generated by an illuminated keyboard can cause the laptop to overheat if used for an extended period.
7. Increased Maintenance: The keyboard light requires an extra level of maintenance to keep it clean and functioning correctly.
8. Limited Options: Some laptop keyboards only have a single-color light which limits the aesthetic customization options.
9. Incompatibility: The keyboard light feature may not be compatible with all laptops, meaning that some users may not have access to it.
10. Inconvenience: Users who are used to typing without a backlit keyboard may find it inconvenient to use one, as they would have to get used to the new light source.
1. Is keyboard light available on Windows 10?
Yes, keyboard light is available on Windows 10.
2. How do I turn on the keyboard light on my Windows 10 laptop?
You can turn on the keyboard light on your Windows 10 laptop by pressing the keyboard button with the backlighting symbol on it. This button is usually located next to the brightness and volume keys.
3. What if my laptop does not have a backlighting symbol on the keyboard button?
If your laptop does not have a backlighting symbol on the keyboard button, you can check the user manual to locate the key for turning on the keyboard light. Alternatively, you can search online for your laptop model and keyboard light instructions.
4. Can I adjust the brightness of the keyboard light?
Yes, you can adjust the brightness of the keyboard light on most Windows 10 laptops. To do this, hold down the function key and press the key marked with the backlighting symbol. This should cycle through different brightness settings.
5. Why is my keyboard light not turning on?
If your keyboard light is not turning on, make sure that it is enabled in the Windows settings. Go to Settings > Devices > Keyboard and turn on the option for “Use the On-Screen Keyboard” and “Turn on the backlight keyboard”. Additionally, check that your laptop is plugged in and not in power-saving mode, as this could also affect the keyboard light.
6. What if my keyboard light keeps turning off?
If your keyboard light keeps turning off, try adjusting the power settings of your laptop. Go to Settings > System > Power & sleep and make sure that the “When plugged in, turn off after” option is set to “Never”. This should prevent the keyboard light from turning off due to power-saving settings.
7. Does my laptop model support keyboard light?
You can check if your laptop model supports keyboard light by looking up the specifications online or in the user manual. Additionally, some laptops may have a separate accessory for keyboard lighting that can be purchased separately.
8. Can I turn on the keyboard light manually from the command prompt?
No, you cannot turn on the keyboard light manually from the command prompt. The keyboard light is tied to the hardware and cannot be controlled through software commands.
9. Will turning on the keyboard light affect my laptop’s battery life?
Yes, turning on the keyboard light will slightly affect your laptop’s battery life. However, the impact is usually minimal and can be further minimized by adjusting the brightness settings and power settings of your laptop.
10. How do I turn off the keyboard light?
You can turn off the keyboard light on your Windows 10 laptop by pressing the keyboard button with the backlighting symbol on it. This should toggle the light on and off.
11. Can I set the keyboard light to turn on automatically in low light conditions?
Yes, some laptops have a feature that automatically adjusts the keyboard light based on the ambient light conditions. Look up your laptop model online to see if it has this feature and how to enable it.
12. Will turning on the keyboard light affect my typing experience?
No, turning on the keyboard light should not affect your typing experience. The light is usually subtle and does not interfere with key visibility or typing accuracy.
13. Can I customize the color of the keyboard light?
Some laptops may offer the option to customize the color of the keyboard light. Look up your laptop model online to see if it has this feature and how to customize the color of the light.
How to Turn on Keyboard Light Windows 10
Do you have trouble navigating your keyboard when the lights are off? Don’t worry; we’ve got you covered! In this article, we will guide you on how to turn on the keyboard light in Windows 10, so you can work comfortably at night, in low light conditions, or even in complete darkness.
Conclusion and Closing
In conclusion, turning on the keyboard light in Windows 10 is easy and straightforward. There are different methods to do it, which include using a keyboard shortcut, adjusting the brightness level, or installing a third-party app. Choose the method that best suits your needs and preferences, and start enjoying your illuminated keyboard.
We hope this article has been helpful and informative. Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions or suggestions. Thanks for reading, and we’ll see you again in our next article!