How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in 12 Simple Steps
Step 1: Open the Command Prompt
The first step to uninstall Microsoft Edge is to open the command prompt in your Windows 10 PC. To do so, click on the Windows Start button and type in ‘cmd’. Then, right-click on the Command Prompt option and select ‘Run as administrator’.
Step 2: Stop the Microsoft Edge Services
To uninstall Microsoft Edge, you’ll need to stop Microsoft Edge services running on your PC. In the Command Prompt window, type ‘taskkill /f /im MicrosoftEdge.exe’ and hit enter.
Step 3: Unregister Microsoft Edge
You should now unregister Microsoft Edge by entering ‘cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\[version number]\Installer’ in the Command Prompt window and hitting enter. Then, enter the following command: ‘setup.exe -uninstall -system-level -verbose-logging -force-uninstall’ and hit enter.
Step 4: Clear the Microsoft Edge Folder
To ensure that Microsoft Edge is entirely uninstalled from your PC, you need to delete all the related folders. You can do this by typing ‘rd /s /q “%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application”‘ in the Command Prompt window and hitting enter.
Step 5: Delete Microsoft Edge Folders
Next, you need to delete Microsoft Edge folders by entering ‘rd /s /q “%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge[version number]_8wekyb3d8bbwe”‘ in the Command Prompt window and pressing enter.
Step 6: Remove Microsoft Edge Registry Keys
To uninstall Microsoft Edge entirely, you need to remove all associated registry keys. Type ‘reg delete “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_[version number]” /f’ in the Command Prompt window and hit enter, followed by ‘reg delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_[version number]” /f’ and hit enter.
Step 7: Remove Microsoft Edge Registry Values
Now, you need to remove all associated registry values. Enter ‘reg delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppX82a6gwre4fdg3bt635tn5ctqjf8msdd2\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_[version number]” /f’ in the Command Prompt window and hit enter, followed by ‘reg delete “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge” /f’ and hit enter.
Step 8: Remove Microsoft Edge Tasks from Task Scheduler
You also need to remove Microsoft Edge tasks from the Task Scheduler. Enter ‘schtasks /delete /tn Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Update’ in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter. Then, enter ‘schtasks /delete /tn Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\MicrosoftEdgeBackups’ and hit enter.
Step 9: Uninstall Microsoft Edge from Windows Settings
You can also uninstall Microsoft Edge from Windows settings. To do so, go to Settings by clicking on the Windows Start button and selecting the ‘Settings’ icon. Then, go to ‘Apps & Features’ and search for ‘Microsoft Edge’. Click on the ‘Uninstall’ button to uninstall it.
Step 10: Download and Install a New Browser
If you uninstall Microsoft Edge, you should replace it with another browser. You can download and install any browser of your choice like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.
Step 11: Set Your New Browser as Default
After installing a new browser, you need to set it as the default browser in your Windows 10 PC. To do so, go to Settings > Apps > Default apps and select your preferred browser as the default browser.
Step 12: Restart Your PC
Finally, restart your PC to apply all changes and ensure that Microsoft Edge is entirely uninstalled from your PC.
Tips and Tricks to Uninstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
1. Backup Your Data
Before uninstalling Microsoft Edge, make sure to back up your data, bookmarks, and settings that you want to keep.
2. Use a Third-party Uninstaller Tool
You can use a third-party uninstaller tool like Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Microsoft Edge from your Windows 10 PC.
3. Disable Windows Defender Firewall
If you encounter issues while uninstalling Microsoft Edge, you can disable Windows Defender Firewall to allow the uninstallation process.
4. Use PowerShell to Uninstall Microsoft Edge
You can also use PowerShell to uninstall Microsoft Edge if the Command Prompt method does not work.
5. Clear Browsing Data
Clearing browsing data like cookies, cache, and history can help improve the performance of Microsoft Edge.
6. Keep Microsoft Edge Updated
Keeping Microsoft Edge updated with the latest version can help improve its performance and security.
7. Reset Microsoft Edge
If you’re having performance issues with Microsoft Edge, you can try resetting it by going to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > Microsoft Edge > Advanced options > Reset.
8. Disable Microsoft Edge Background Processes
You can disable Microsoft Edge background processes to reduce CPU and memory usage by going to Settings > Privacy > Background apps and turning off the toggle for Microsoft Edge.
9. Use Extension to Improve Microsoft Edge Functionality
You can use various extensions to improve the functionality of Microsoft Edge.
10. Use a VPN for Better Privacy
If you’re concerned about your privacy while using Microsoft Edge, you can use a VPN to protect your online activities.In conclusion, uninstalling Microsoft Edge from your Windows 10 PC is not as straightforward as you might think, but by following the above steps, you can uninstall it entirely. You can also use various tips and tricks to enhance your browsing experience with Microsoft Edge or any other browser of your choice.
Advantages of Uninstalling Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
1. More Storage Space: Uninstalling Microsoft Edge from your computer can free up a considerable amount of storage space. This can be a great advantage, especially if you have limited storage capacity on your device.
2. Improved Performance: Removing Microsoft Edge can improve the overall performance of your computer. This can result in faster boot times, quicker application launches, and better overall efficiency.
3. Improved Privacy: If you’re concerned about privacy, uninstalling Microsoft Edge can be an advantage. Removing this browser from your computer can help eliminate potential security threats and privacy concerns.
4. More Customization: By uninstalling Microsoft Edge, you can use a different browser that may offer more customization options. This can enable you to personalize your browsing experience more effectively.
5. Enhanced Compatibility: Certain applications may be more compatible with different browsers. By uninstalling Microsoft Edge, you can find a browser that is more compatible with the applications you use on a regular basis.
1. Limited Default Browser Options: If you uninstall Microsoft Edge, you may be left with limited browser options, especially if you are using an older version of Windows 10. This can be a disadvantage, as you may not be able to use certain applications or access certain websites efficiently.
2. Possible Installation Issues: Uninstalling Microsoft Edge may cause installation issues for other applications on your computer. This can be frustrating, especially if you need these applications to work correctly.
3. Reduced Security: Uninstalling Microsoft Edge may leave you with a less secure browsing experience. Different browsers may not provide the same level of protection against security threats and vulnerabilities.
4. Reduced Updates: Certain browsers may offer less frequent updates than Microsoft Edge. This can result in potential security vulnerabilities that may not be addressed as quickly.
5. Limited Features: Some browsers may not provide the same features and functionality as Microsoft Edge. This can limit your browsing experience and lead to decreased productivity.
1. What is Microsoft Edge?
Microsoft Edge is a web browser developed by Microsoft that is included in Windows 10. It is designed to replace Internet Explorer as Microsoft’s default browser.
2. Why do people want to uninstall Microsoft Edge?
Some people prefer to use other web browsers and want to remove Microsoft Edge to save storage space on their computer. Others may have encountered problems with Microsoft Edge and want to switch to a different browser.
3. Can I uninstall Microsoft Edge on my Windows 10 computer?
Yes, it is possible to uninstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10, but it may require some technical knowledge and is not recommended for most users. There are also some risks associated with removing Microsoft Edge, such as breaking certain system functions and updates.
4. How can I uninstall Microsoft Edge from my computer?
The recommended method for removing Microsoft Edge is to use a third-party tool such as CCleaner or Windows 10 App Remover. These tools can safely and completely remove Microsoft Edge from your computer.
5. Is it safe to uninstall Microsoft Edge?
While it is possible to uninstall Microsoft Edge, it is not recommended for most users. There is a risk of breaking certain system functions and updates, and you may also encounter compatibility issues with other software and applications on your computer.
6. Can I reinstall Microsoft Edge after I uninstall it?
Yes, you can reinstall Microsoft Edge after you uninstall it, but it may require some technical knowledge and is not recommended for most users. It is also important to note that reinstalling Microsoft Edge will not necessarily fix any problems you may have encountered with the browser.
7. Will uninstalling Microsoft Edge improve my computer’s performance?
Uninstalling Microsoft Edge may free up some storage space on your computer, but it is unlikely to have a significant impact on your computer’s performance. Other factors, such as the number and type of applications you have installed, are likely to have a greater impact on performance.
8. If I uninstall Microsoft Edge, what browser should I use?
There are many web browsers available for Windows 10, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera. You should choose a browser that meets your needs and is compatible with the applications and software you use.
9. Will uninstalling Microsoft Edge affect my Windows 10 updates?
Uninstalling Microsoft Edge may affect certain system functions and updates, and may prevent some updates from being installed on your computer. It is recommended to keep Microsoft Edge installed and up to date to ensure that your computer remains secure and compatible with the latest updates.
10. Can I disable Microsoft Edge instead of uninstalling it?
Yes, it is possible to disable Microsoft Edge by changing your default browser or by using a third-party tool such as Windows 10 App Remover. Disabling Microsoft Edge may prevent it from running and appearing on your computer, but it will not free up storage space or remove the browser entirely from your system.
11. How do I change my default browser in Windows 10?
To change your default browser in Windows 10, go to Settings > Apps > Default apps and select your preferred browser from the list of available options.
12. Will uninstalling Microsoft Edge affect my Microsoft account or OneDrive?
Uninstalling Microsoft Edge is unlikely to affect your Microsoft account or OneDrive, as these are separate applications that do not rely on Microsoft Edge to function. However, it may affect certain system functions and updates, so it is not recommended for most users.
13. Can I remove Microsoft Edge from my Windows 10 taskbar?
Yes, you can remove Microsoft Edge from your Windows 10 taskbar by right-clicking on the Edge icon and selecting “Unpin from taskbar.” However, this will not uninstall or remove Microsoft Edge from your computer.
How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
Are you looking for a way to uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10? While Edge is a decent browser, some users prefer other options and want to remove it from their system. In this article, we will discuss how you can easily and safely uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10.
Uninstalling Microsoft Edge from the Start Menu
The easiest way to uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 is through the Start menu. Here are the steps:
- Click on the Start menu icon in the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Type “Microsoft Edge” in the search bar and right-click on the app in the results.
- Select “Uninstall” from the context menu.
- Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
Uninstalling Microsoft Edge using PowerShell
If you prefer using PowerShell, you can also uninstall Microsoft Edge using command lines. Here are the steps:
- Right-click on the Start menu icon and select “Windows PowerShell (Admin)”.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
- Find the entry for Microsoft Edge in the list and copy its PackageFullName.
- Type the following command and press Enter, replacing “PackageFullName” with the actual name you copied:
- Wait for the process to complete and then close PowerShell.
Uninstalling Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 is a simple process and can be done using the Start menu or PowerShell. Regardless of your preferred method, make sure to follow the steps carefully to avoid any issues. If you change your mind and want to reinstall Microsoft Edge, you can do so from the Microsoft Store.
We hope this article has been helpful in guiding you through the process of uninstalling Microsoft Edge in Windows 10. Whether you want to try a different browser or simply don’t use Edge, the choice is yours. Thank you for reading and see you next time!