Steps to View Product Key in Windows 10
Step 1: Open Command PromptThe first step in viewing your product key is to open Command Prompt. You can do this by typing “cmd” into the search bar and selecting “Run as Administrator.”
Step 2: Input CommandAfter opening Command Prompt, enter the following command: “wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey”. This command will retrieve your Windows 10 product key.
Step 3: Copy Key CodeOnce you enter the command, your Windows 10 product key will be displayed in the Command Prompt window. Highlight the key code and copy it to your clipboard.
Step 4: Open NotepadNext, open Notepad or any other text editor.
Step 5: Paste Key CodePaste the key code that you copied from Command Prompt into Notepad.
Step 6: Save as Text FileSave the Notepad document as a text file named “Windows10Key.txt”
Step 7: Open Text FileOnce you have saved the text file, open it to ensure that the product key was saved correctly.
Step 8: Verify ActivationTo verify that your Windows 10 installation is activated, go to “Settings” and select “Update & Security.” From there, select “Activation,” and your Windows 10 activation status should be displayed.
Step 9: Use Third-Party SoftwareAlternatively, you can use third-party software such as Belarc Advisor or Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to retrieve your Windows 10 product key.
Step 10: Check Original EmailIf you purchased an OEM computer with Windows 10 preinstalled, your product key may be included in the original email or documentation.
Step 11: Contact MicrosoftIf you still cannot find your product key, you can contact Microsoft support for assistance.
Step 12: Upgrade to Windows 11If you have upgraded to Windows 11 and need to view your product key, the process is similar to Windows 10. Follow the same steps to retrieve your key.
Tips and Tricks
Tip 1: Keep a BackupAlways keep a backup of your product key in case you need to reinstall or upgrade your operating system.
Tip 2: Use SoftwareIf you find the manual process difficult, consider using a software program to retrieve your Windows 10 product key.
Tip 3: Check Your AccountIf you have a Microsoft account linked to your Windows 10 device, you may be able to view your product key in your account information.
Tip 4: Use PowerShellPowerShell is another command prompt option to retrieve your Windows 10 product key. However, the process is slightly more complex.
Tip 5: Use Registry EditorAnother option is to use Registry Editor to retrieve your product key. However, we do not recommend it unless you are familiar with the Registry.
Tip 6: Check Device PackagingIf you still have the packaging from your device, your Windows 10 product key may be located on the packaging.
Tip 7: Use Recovery DriveIf you created a recovery drive when you first set up your device, your Windows 10 product key may be stored on the drive.
Tip 8: Use Command Prompt on BootIf you are unable to access Command Prompt through Windows, you can try accessing it from a bootable USB or DVD.
Tip 9: Check Microsoft Account ActivityIf you have linked your Microsoft account to your Windows 10 device, you can check your account activity to view your product key.
Tip 10: Use Digital LicenseIf you upgraded your device from a previous version of Windows, your device may have a digital license instead of a product key. You can view your digital license in your device’s settings. In conclusion, knowing how to view your Windows 10 product key is essential for a smoother user experience, especially if you need to reinstall your operating system or activate software. Follow the above steps and tips to retrieve your product key with ease.
Advantages and Disadvantages: How to View Product Key in Windows 10
1. Easy access: With the built-in tool in Windows 10, users can easily view their product key without third-party software.
2. No cost: View your product key without having to spend extra money on purchasing software that may or may not work.
3. Quick process: The process of viewing your product key is quick and doesn’t require much effort on your part.
4. Useful for reinstallations: If you need to reinstall Windows 10, having access to the product key is essential.
5. Can help with technical support: If you’re experiencing any technical issues with Windows 10, having your product key on hand can assist any technical support personnel.
6. Compatibility: The built-in tool for viewing product keys in Windows 10 works for all versions of Windows 10.
7. Multiple devices: Your product key can be viewed on any device running Windows 10 that you’re signed in to with your Microsoft account.
8. Helpful for software installation: Knowing your product key makes installing software much easier, as you won’t have to search for it again.
9. Keeps track of licenses: Viewing your product key helps you to keep track of your licenses and ensures that you’re using genuine software.
10. Protects against piracy: Knowing your product key helps protect against piracy, as it ensures that the software you’re using is legitimate and paid for.
1. May require internet access: In order to view your product key, you may need to have an internet connection to sign in to your Microsoft account.
2. May be difficult to find: For some users, locating the product key may be difficult or confusing, especially for those who are not as tech-savvy.
3. Only applicable for Windows 10: The built-in tool for viewing product keys only works for Windows 10, and cannot be used for previous versions of Windows.
4. No physical copy: Unlike in the past, where product keys were provided on a physical copy, viewing your product key in Windows 10 requires an online search.
5. Potential privacy concerns: As with any online activity, there are potential privacy concerns when signing in to your Microsoft account to view your product key.
6. May not always work: Although the built-in tool for viewing product keys in Windows 10 generally works well, there may be instances where it doesn’t provide accurate or complete information.
7. Limited customization: When using the built-in tool for viewing product keys in Windows 10, there are limited customization options for the display of your product key.
8. Cannot retrieve lost product keys: If you lose access to your Microsoft account, it may be difficult to retrieve your product key.
9. Only works for purchased software: If you’re using free software on your Windows 10 device, the built-in tool for viewing product keys won’t provide you with any details.
10. Limited value for some users: For some users, viewing their product key may not hold much value, especially if they have no plans of reinstalling Windows 10 or if they’re not using any software that requires a product key.
1. What is a product key in Windows 10?
A product key is a unique alphanumeric code that is required to activate a licensed copy of Windows 10.
2. Why do I need to know my Windows 10 product key?
You may need to know your Windows 10 product key if you need to reinstall the operating system or transfer your license to a new device.
3. How can I view my Windows 10 product key?
You can view your Windows 10 product key using a free third-party program or by using Command Prompt.
4. What is a third-party program?
A third-party program is software that is not developed by Microsoft but can be used to perform tasks on your computer like viewing your Windows 10 product key.
5. What is Command Prompt?
Command Prompt is a command-line interface that allows you to execute commands on your Windows operating system.
6. How can I use a third-party program to view my Windows 10 product key?
You can search for a third-party program online, download and install it on your computer, and follow the instructions to view your Windows 10 product key.
7. How can I view my Windows 10 product key using Command Prompt?
You can open Command Prompt, type ‘wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey’, and press Enter to view your Windows 10 product key.
8. What if I lost my Windows 10 product key?
If you lost your Windows 10 product key, you can try to retrieve it using a third-party program or by contacting Microsoft support.
9. What if my Windows 10 product key is not working?
If your Windows 10 product key is not working, you can try to activate it again or contact Microsoft support for assistance.
10. Can I use the same product key to activate Windows 10 on multiple devices?
No, you cannot use the same product key to activate Windows 10 on multiple devices. Each license is valid for one device only.
11. What if I need to transfer my Windows 10 license to a new device?
You can transfer your Windows 10 license to a new device by deactivating it on the old device and activating it on the new one.
12. Can I upgrade my Windows 10 product key to a different version of Windows?
Yes, you can upgrade your Windows 10 product key to a different version of Windows by purchasing a new license and activating it on your device.
13. Can I use a free trial version of Windows 10 without a product key?
Yes, you can use a free trial version of Windows 10 without a product key for up to 90 days. After that, you need to activate your license to continue using the operating system.
How to View Product Key in Windows 10
Windows 10 is a widely-used operating system today, and it requires a valid product key for activation. However, there might be times when you need to view your product key for various reasons. In this article, we will guide you on how to view your product key in Windows 10.
Conclusion and Closing
Viewing your product key in Windows 10 is fairly simple. With the methods discussed above, you can easily retrieve your product key without any hassle. Make sure to store your product key in a safe and secure place for future reference.
Thank you for reading our article on how to view product key in Windows 10. We hope that this has been a helpful guide for you. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to leave a comment below. Until next time, happy computing!